Winter Park Social Security Disability Attorney
If you suffer from a disabling medical condition, you face innumerable challenges with everyday living, independence, and being self-sufficient. You may be unable to work or limited in how much you can earn, leading to financial struggles while you are also incurring medical bills. Fortunately, the Social Security Administration (SSA) administers two federal programs that offer disability benefits for qualifying individuals. By filing an application, you may be eligible to receive payments that provide essential financial support for your basic needs.
However, the process for obtaining disability benefits is much more complicated than filling out some forms. SSA has established strict criteria for eligibility, resulting in around half of all claims being denied and many others delayed. You greatly improve the possibility of quick approval by working with a Winter Park Social Security disability attorney who knows the laws, so please contact our Winter Park Social Security Disability attorney at the Law Offices of Shea A. Fugate, P.A. to set up a consultation. An overview on SSA disability programs may also be useful.
Comparing SSA’s Disability Programs
Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for benefits through:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): This program is akin to a traditional insurance plan, only you pay premiums through mandatory deductions from your paycheck. As such, your work history is a key factor in being approved for SSDI. You must have accumulated enough work credits, and paid into Social Security, to qualify.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Individuals of limited means may be eligible to receive SSI benefits, which is a needs-based disability program. Eligibility is based upon your assets and income.
For both programs, there are also criteria that focus on the nature and severity of your medical condition. You must suffer from an injury or ailment that prevents you from working at a certain level, and this health issue is expected to last for more than 12 months.
Legal Help with All Aspects of Social Security Disability Claims
The application process involved with SSDI and SSI claims is quite rigorous, but you can count on a Winter Park Social Security disability attorney for help with:
- Gathering medical records and related evidence;
- Completing all necessary forms and supplying supporting documentation for your initial disability claim;
- Handling the reconsideration process, if your initial application is denied;
- Representing you in connection with disability hearings before SSA; and,
- Pursuing an appeal in court.
You should note that there are also reporting requirements and issues that you must address even after approval. It is mandatory to notify SSA regarding changes in your circumstances; you will be subject to Continuing Disability Reviews (CDRs), in which SSA goes over your circumstances to ensure you are still eligible.
Contact a Winter Park Social Security Disability Attorney for Assistance
As you can see, it is wise to work with experienced legal counsel throughout the Social Security disability claims process. For more information on how we can assist with your claim, CDRs, and other post-approval issues, please contact the Law Offices of Shea A. Fugate, P.A. to schedule an SSDI/SSI claim evaluation.